“THE BETTER YOUR TRICEPS IS, THE BIGGER YOUR BICEPS WILL“. Triceps makeup almost half of our arms and help in all movements that involve pushing, whether it’s a door, furniture, a car that’s broken. The triceps extend the forearm and help move the joints in our hands. To get bigger, stronger, and leaner arms you need to do triceps exercise along with the biceps. Strong triceps help stabilize your shoulder joints and are important for daily based activities. Triceps or triceps brachii (Latin for the three-headed muscle of the arm).
- Long head: It is the largest part of the triceps which runs along the back of the upper arm.
- Lateral head: It is the smallest of the three muscles which are located on the outside of the arm.
- Medial head: It is located just right around the middle of the upper arm.
There is a variety of triceps exercise such as triceps dips, kickbacks, bench press, and triceps extensions to train these triceps muscles. But, only a few movements train the whole triceps structure at the same time.
The first exercise is a warm-up, always do your warm-up properly by doing a warm-up of a particular muscle or body part you are getting that muscle ready for intense training and pressure on it.
Triceps are very hard to train and they need even harder exercises to train them. The diamond push-up seems to be simple but it is a difficult exercise for the triceps. To gain upper body strength for an exercise like this, the first thing you need to master is the basic push-up, and then move on to these variations. Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
How to do it:
- Get down on your palm and place your hands directly under your chest, making a diamond shape by joining your fingers and thumbs.
- Go down slowly by bending your elbows until your chest touches the hands, like how you do during a basic push-up.
- Now, Pause for a second or two and then come back to the starting position again by extending the arms all the way. This is one rep.
STANDING TRICEPS EXTENSION
The triceps extension exercise also has many varieties and can be done during a full workout for triceps. You can perform this with a dumbbell, barbell, EZ bars, or even with a cable machine which is available at gyms.
How to do it:
1. Hold a dumbbell in both of your hands with your palms facing each other.
2. Lift the dumbbell over your head with your arms touching the side of your face.
3. Now, bend your elbows to lower the dumbbell behind your neck or head.
4. Pause for a second at the lowest you can go, before bringing the dumbbell back up by straightening your elbows. This is one rep.
LYING TRICEPS EXTENSION (SKULL CRUSHER)
Standing gives you more strength and stability to lift heavier but lying down on a surface allows you to engage the core muscles. This exercise is also known as the skull crushers that can be more effective if done correctly.
How to do it:
1. As for a beginner, you might need someone to hand you the barbell in the right position.
2. Now you need to lie down on a flat bench on your back and place your feet on the floor.
3. Bend your elbows and grab an EZ bar with a true grip just above your forehead.
4. Stretch your arms out then pause for a second.
5. Now slowly bring the EZ bar back down over your forehead. This is one rep. Do 10 to 12 reps for 3 sets.
One of the best exercises to target all three triceps muscles, kickback works against gravity and puts the load directly on the long head of the triceps.
How to do it:
1. You must stand straight with your foot hip-width apart.
2. Hold a dumbbell in one hand and bend your back to a 60-70 degree of angle.
3. Raise your hand to parallel your torso. Your elbow must stay at the same position throughout the whole movement.
4. Push the weight behind you, flexing your triceps.
5. Hold for a few seconds and bring the dumbbell back to a 90-degree of angle.
6. This is one rep, complete one set and then changes your hand. This will be one set.
Some triceps exercises you can perform at home:
- STANDING TRICEPS EXTENSION ( Need a pair of dumbbells)
- DIAMOND PUSHUPS
- TRICEPS DIPS
You can also read our article on Shoulder and leg workout.
BENEFITS OF TRICEPS EXERCISE
You can’t think of achieving a nice, strong, and big pair of arms by just training your biceps. Triceps not only make your half the arms but training it also adds to the overall strength. A triceps workout is one of the best to enhance your upper body strength, and its benefits are:
1. Increase in overall arm strength, power, and endurance.
2. Allows you to lift heavier during other lifts like bench presses and shoulder presses.
3. Improves stability of the shoulders and elbow joints.
4. Great workout for tennis, golf, basketball, or cricket players – a movement that needs the full motion of the arm muscles.
CAN YOU TRAIN TRICEPS WITH CHEST OR SHOULDER?
Definitely yes, you can train chest, shoulder, and triceps together. It is a workout pattern which is known as push day. “Push” workouts train the chest, shoulders, and triceps. These muscles use the ‘push’ movement when used which means that they work together to push resistance far away from the body.
When you do chest, and shoulder exercises, the secondary muscle that you use, after your chest, of course, is your triceps. You’ll be hitting three groups in one go, without having to do extra warming up for each of them as they’ll already be warmed up.
PRECAUTIONS OF TRICEPS EXERCISE
Do not forget to warm up with mobility exercises such as high knees, jumping jacks, stretching your arms, and a short run on the treadmill. Start with a low-intensity workout as lifting heavy on muscles can cause workout injuries which can be bad for your health too.
Chest workouts are often done with the triceps as both involve pushing movements. Never go for a triceps workout after a heavyweight chest day. Chest workouts pump up the triceps and make them tired, so you need to give an adequate amount of rest to recover from fatigue. Take a rest of at least one or two days between the workouts if you’re doing them on different days. If you’re doing both together then it’s all okay.
If you’re performing heavy reps take the help of a trainer.
Hope this article has everything you need