Once M.F.K Fisher quotes, “Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.” There is nothing we can debate about but can add its beneficial aspect to it. Not all Cheese is unhealthy, and ricotta cheese can justify it along with Mozzarella and cottage cheese. In today’s world where people have become more conscious about their physique and health. They usually eliminate cheese from their diet. But it becomes an added advantage when they get a healthy option in cheese to satisfy their taste buds. Ricotta cheese can help you to maintain blood pressure levels and can play a major role in the growth and development of bones. Also, let’s see Ricotta Cheese nutrition.
Ricotta Cheese Nutrition
First, we need to understand what makes the recorder a better option than some other cheese. Ricotta is an Italian term meaning ‘Re-cooked.’ Ricotta cheese is easy to prepare by heating the whey leftover from different cheeses. In this whole process, you will need a great number of whey residues to process even a small quantity of cheese. The ricotta cheese contains less fat and calories that make it suitable to include in the sustenance of those seeking healthy options in cheese.
Ricotta Cheese Nutrition Facts And Nutritional Value Of Ricotta Cheese-
- Ricotta cheese contains very little amount of salt and is a low-fat cheese with low calories.
- It contains whey protein life alpha-lactalbumin serum albumin,
lactoglobulin, and others. It is a good alternative to casein allergic people as there is little casein present in it.
- Compared to other traditional cheeses, this cheese contains a small fraction of lactose hence causes no problem of indigestion in those who cannot tolerate lactose.
- Nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, protein( in abundant amounts), zinc, selenium, manganese, BCAA’s, etc., are also found in ricotta cheese. These nutrients play a major role in the growth and development of the body.
There are few options in Ricotta Cheese, as discussed below, to look for healthy alternatives.
Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
Soft, firm, and delicate ricotta cheese has a light flavour with most dishes like pasta, lasagna, or dips served with Salsa or garlic bread. In about 62 grams of low-fat ricotta cheese, there is 60 cal. You will also get 2.5 G of total fat, 4 G of total carbohydrates, and 6 grams of protein in the serving of 62 G of low ricotta cheese.
Fat-free Ricotta Cheese Nutrition
When you search for flavours without consuming fat, fat-free ricotta cheese will be a suitable choice for you. In a serving of 62.3 7 g, you will obtain 50 cal. It is a fat-free cheese but will provide you with 5 grams of total carbs (containing 2 grams of sugar) and 5 grams of protein. You will also consume 10 mg of cholesterol.
Lemon Ricotta Cheese Nutrition
A single serving of baked lemon ricotta cheese which consists of 20 G of a cheese cube, serves you 60 cal. It will provide you with 2.5 G of total fat, 6 grams of total carbohydrates, and 2 grams of protein, along with 15 mg of cholesterol and 110 mg of sodium.
Ricotta Cheese Vs. Cottage Cheese
- Both of these cheeses are fresh and unaged cheese. You can also buy them at almost similar costs.
- Ricotta cheese is prepared from the whey residuals collected from other cheeses during their preparation processes, while cottage cheese is also termed curd and is made by pasteurized milk. Some other components are included, like rennet and lactic starter, for continuing the process.
- Ricotta cheese possesses a nutty taste, while another one has a creamy texture or flavor.
- Usually, ricotta cheese possesses a high amount of calories in contrast to cottage cheese.
- Generally, cottage cheese possesses more carbohydrates in contrast to ricotta cheese. Furthermore, the amount of sugar is high in cottage cheese by almost ten times compared with ricotta cheese.
- Ricotta cheese contains a little higher amount of protein than cottage cheese.
- Cottage cheese contains less fat than ricotta cheese (ricotta possesses almost thrice the fat quantity than cottage cheese).
Ricotta Cheese Vs. Mozzarella Cheese
- Both of these cheeses are indigenous cheeses of Italy. Mozzarella, a semi-soft cheese, is generally found in the toppings of pizza, while the other one is unsalted whey.
- You can store ricotta cheese for about 1 to 2 weeks while the other stays for 5 to 7 days.
- Mozzarella cheese contains 22.17 grams of protein in a hundred grams serving, while ricotta cheese possesses 11.26 grams of protein in the same serving.
- Ricotta is a low-fat cheese that contains 12.98 grams of fat in a serving size of a hundred grams while another possesses 22.3 grams of fat In the same serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):-
Q. Is ricotta cheese healthy?
Ans. Yes, ricotta cheese is considered one of the healthy cheese alternatives as it is low fat, low cal, unsalted, lactose intolerant, and gluten-free with less amount of casein. People can include it in their diet as it provides a good amount of protein and calcium.
Q. Which is better for you, ricotta or cottage cheese?
Ans. When you compare both of these cheeses, you will find that ricotta will serve you more calories comparatively. However, both of them will provide you with a great amount of protein and Calcium. So cottage cheese is a better alternative to ricotta cheese if we compare them nutritionally as a whole.
Q. Is ricotta good for weight loss?
Ans. The cheeses which are low in fat and sodium play a major role in the process of weight loss. Ricotta cheese possesses low amounts of fat and sodium along with low kilojoules. So it is a suitable alternative to include in your diet for weight loss.
Q. What cheese is the healthiest?
Ans. Cheese is a good source of calcium, but if we talk about the healthiest option in cheese, there are few to consider. Mozzarella, Cottage, and ricotta cheese can serve you with suitable nutrients.
Hope you liked this article. For more content please visit our website.