The good-morning is a weight training exercise. It is known as a good morning because of the movement in the erector spinae, it appears like bowing at the waist as if to say, “good morning.” You start with a barbell beyond your upper back and bend your hips similar to a Back Squat, but finish with your torso closely parallel to the ground.
What muscle good morning exercise works on
The good-morning exercise hits your hamstrings, lower back, and abs. The exercise works best with barbells as compare to other weights, like dumbbells. You should have a good understanding of weight training basics before adding the good morning exercise to your routine.
Also read our article on triceps exercise and its benefits.
How to do barbell good morning exercise
If you’re a beginner and doing this exercise for the very first time we must suggest you use some expert’s help. The proper way to do the exercise is:
- You should stand with your feet apart shoulder-width.
- Place a barbell of convenient weight on your shoulders. If you’re just starting with the exercise, must begin with lightweight. The bar of the barbell should be placed on your trapezius muscles of the upper back near your shoulders.
- Prepare your abdomen and take a good breath in.
- Exhale as you swing at the hips. It must feel as if you are throwing your hips backward (as if you’re trying to shut a car door with your hips).
- Now, inhale and focus on keeping a straight back. Keep the arch of your lower back tight as you do when lifting from the floor.
- Exhale. Make sure your head and chest are up and straight. Must check that you are not having a curled back facing forward.
- While returning to the starting position, inhale smoothly.
If you’re a beginner don’t do more than 3 sets of 3 reps. But, if you performed this exercise before you can do it according to your strength.
How long can you go on this exercise, it depends on your flexibility beyond the posterior chain of muscles which are the hamstring, glutes, abs, and lower back. If you start having pain which you can’t take on while doing the exercise stop right there, don’t try to overdo it.
NOT PROPER FORM
Don’t do this exercise until you learn to do it in the proper form or you’ll injure yourself.
YOU AREN’T WARMED UP
One of the most serious mistakes you can make while weight training develops before you can even touch a weight. If you aren’t perfectly warmed up, you risk tearing your muscles. Always warm up your muscles properly with mobility drills, stretching, and lightweights.
Barbell good morning exercise benefits
- Fat Loss: Good morning is a compound exercise that involves many muscle groups at the same time, helping you to burn more fat.
- Lower Back Strength & Development: Good Mornings enhance strength and shape the back, particularly the lower back.
- Back Health: Building up the back muscles keeps your back healthy. It also helps to prevent injuries during deadlift type exercise and also improves lower back pain.
- Glute & Hamstring Development: Good mornings enhance the strength of your glutes and hamstring which make them grow strong.
- Establish Proper Movement Patterns: Improving your back stability can help squat and deadlift techniques as well as in other sports also. For example: sprinting, jumping, and ball throwing.
How to do seated barbell good morning exercise
The technique is the same as normal barbell good mornings; here you just need a bench to sit on. This is how you can do it:
- Hold a barbell just above your traps. Sit on a bench and place your feet flat on the floor.
- Now, hinge forward by bending your hips. Stop before your chest touches your thigh and come back to the starting position slowly.
NOTE: Benefits of the seated barbell are the same as standing barbell the only difference is that in the seated good morning’s your leg muscles will not work because they are at rest by sitting on the bench. So, your leg muscle will not have any benefit.
Why working out in the morning is good?
Working out in the morning has some benefits, which are:
Morning workouts usually mean you’re less vulnerable to distractions. When you wake up in the morning, you haven’t started handling the day’s to-do list. The probability of getting calls, emails, and text messages in the morning is also very less.
The fewer distractions will, the more you can focus on your workout.
More overall energy
Regular exercise is amazing for enhancing energy and reducing tiredness. When you work out, oxygen and nutrients travel to your body through the heart and lungs. Which results in improving your cardiovascular system, endurance, and stamina?
By exercising early, you may feel more energetic throughout the whole day.
Physical activities also improve your focus and concentration, nevertheless of when you do it. But if you have trouble working out during the day, a morning workout might be the thing for you. For those whose whole day has a busy schedule, a morning workout is best.
Support weight loss
In the morning workouts, people usually do their workout empty stomach which results in helping the process of weight loss.
For those who are looking to lose weight, a morning workout is best.
Working out in the morning might be helpful for a good night’s sleep. After the morning workout, your body is so tired throughout the day so it’s possible to have a better sleep at night.
These are some of the reasons why morning workout is good.
Hope this article will help you gain knowledge.