As Chuck’s guitar strings echoed the mellifluous musical notes in the ear of his audience, his duck walk style made a remarkable statement and made his admirers inquisitive about that never seen before unique locomotion which seems more like some workout move. Today, while listening to some Chuck Berry, gym or Fitness freaks can be seen performing Duck walk around the corner in the gym for strengthening the lower body or core.
If you are an ardent lover of workouts, you must be familiar with squats. So duck walk exercise is nothing just waddling around the workout space in the appropriate posture of half squat. There are numerous benefits of these exercises like it aids in burning some calories, toning your not so flat belly, bum, and thighs.
The correct way to execute duck walk exercises:
- First of all, stand spreading your legs maintaining a certain distance between your both legs.
- Then thrust your tushie or bum back, curve your knees, sink your pelvis, maintain the posture in such a way that the thighs stand in the line to the ground.
- Make sure you clasp your forearms together near the chest to attain equilibrium.
- Ultimately, you have achieved the position of the squat, now waddle while maintaining a similar posture.
- You need to keep certain things in mind, as the muscles of your abdomen must be kept stiff or strained. So you need to pause and stand up gradually to relax for a specific time like for 30-35 seconds before doing it again.
Duck walk exercise benefits
1. Get you an ideal flat belly – It is a full-body exercise. It mainly concentrates on the pelvic region or lower abdomen area, as it flexes the muscles of these areas resulting in building these abdominal muscles firm or strained.
2. Refine pliability – This exercise primarily focuses on the lower part of the body, so involves the movement or locomotion of these, so as a consequence, these duckwalks refine pliability.
3. Increase the metabolism – Duck walk exercises also make the body more active, so it catalyses the activity of chemical reactions involved in the process of metabolism also increases and eventually leads to revealing good results by increasing metabolism.
4. Burn the calories – These also help in burning those extra calories you gained by consuming sugars or junk food.
5. Strengthen various parts of the lower body – It helps in improving endurance, also increases the strength of calves and makes the ankle stronger.
Duck walk exercise works upon the muscles
Quad muscles –
These muscles cover the front and sides of the thighs. There are four parts of quad muscles and duck walk exercises can help in the extension of knees and shedding some weight from the thigh region.
Butt muscles –
Gluteus maximus muscles are mainly incorporated in this high-intensity workout. These are giant, strong muscles that enable us to squat and pick up heavy things.
Muscles of calves –
These are situated at the rear side of our legs. These are worked when we sprint, stride or jump, two muscles named the soleus and gastrocnemius are prime muscles forming the calves.
Hamstrings consist of four muscles. Each hamstring intertwines two articulations- the buttock and the knee. These duck walk exercises need to be performed with precision to prevent any hamstring injury.
Hip flexor muscle –
These muscles join our legs to our trunk which are utilised for toddling around and raising our legs. Duck walk exercises involve these muscles, hence improves the flexibility of the body of fitness enthusiasts.
Duck walk exercise with weights
The athletes, military personnel in the US military, wrestlers or bodybuilders generally prefer to do duck walk exercises while holding some weights during training sessions. Weights like dumbbells, medicine balls, etc are held close to the chest and then the usual duck walk is performed.
Cable duck walks exercise
This can also be termed as walking cable squats. There is generally a cable machine waist-high in gyms or fitness centres which is fixed by the trainers and people are advised to hold the straight bar attachment with the help hands stretched forward. Straighten up the chest and do the duck walk as you do it normally.
Duck walk exercise safety
These should be exercised properly and take care of knees and back while performing them. If you possess any knee problems or back-related problems like slip discs. In that case, avoid these exercises. Proper rest of minimum of 30 seconds should be there in the gap between two repetitions.
Is the duck walk a good exercise?
The duck walk exercises have some benefits but apart from these, there are chances of rupturing any ligaments or cartilage. So to avoid any severe injuries, these need to be exercised efficiently or under the proper guidance of a fitness expert or professional.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Q. What is a duck walk exercise?
Ans. This is a low impact, bodyweight exercise, walking in the squat position that involves the muscles of quads, hamstrings, calves, etc.
Q. How to do duck walks exercise?
Ans. Sit into the squat posture, straighten up the chest, clasp forearms close to the chest and walk a few steps slowly and then move to the initial point from the current position.
Q. Which exercise is contraindicated for safety reasons?
Ans. Squat thrust or burpees, duck walks, pull-ups and push-ups exercises are contraindicated for safety reasons because these insert immense pressure on certain body parts. Squat thrust or burpees and duck walks pressurize the knees immensely and can tear up the muscles or ligaments. Similarly, pull-ups and push-ups put great pressure on the wrist so can rupture muscles, ligaments and cartilage.
Q. Is the duck walk a good exercise?
Ans. These exercises are suitable for pregnant women during second labour but needed to be performed under the trainer. But just because it places a huge amount of pressure on the knee, it may cause some serious injuries. So there are high chances of muscles, ligaments and cartilage getting destroyed.
Hope you liked this article. For more content please visit our website.