This article gives a walkthrough of the internal hip rotation yoga pose. Internal hip rotation is the twisted movement of the thighs. You can try that movement when you are standing and twist your foot towards your rest body. You can use the internal hip rotators in walking, squatting, crouch, running, and crawling.
Internal hip rotation plays a vital role in our day-to-day life. It is responsible for many activities like if you pull off your pants or going to step up or step down the stairs. We list out some stretches and exercises for the people who want to work out for their internal rotation hips.
Read more: Downward Facing Dog Yoga
Internal Hip Rotation Muscles
Let’s talk about the internal hip rotation muscles present in the hips and thighs of human beings.
- Inner thigh muscles: Brevis, adductor longus, and Magnus
- Outer hip muscles: tensor fasciae latae
- Upper frontal thigh muscles: pectineus
- Upper buttock muscles : gluteus minimus and gluteus medius
No muscle allows the hip to rotate. These muscles work together for the generation of internal rotation hip.
Read more: How To Do The Cobra Yoga Pose
Internal Hip Rotation Yoga Pose, Stretches and Exercises
If you don’t have much internal hip rotation, it leads to many health issues in your muscles. This is a huge reason for the injuries and risks.
But we are listing out some exercises and stretches which will help you to strengthen your internal hip rotation. These stretches will help you to be flexible. But also, these stretches and exercises will put pressure on the knees; if you get much pain, then stop doing those exercises.
Read more: How To Do Dhanurasana Yoga
Stretches For Internal Hip Rotation
Lying Down With Band
First of all, you need to take a band or belt to stretch your muscles. You can lie on your back with your knees bent and keep your feet flat on the floor. You have to hook that band at the bottom of your right leg. And holding that band with your left hand. After that, you have to extend your legs. And place your hand on the right knee.
Holding both ends of the belt, hold your right foot downwards; you will feel pressure on the hip muscles of the legs. Hold yourself at least 30 seconds in that position; after that, do the same for the stretching of the other side.
Twisted Legs For Hip Rotation
You can start that stretching by sitting on the floor, bending your knees, and keeping your feet flat on the floor.
- Extend your palms and arms behind yourself for the balancing.
- Move both your knees towards the floor and on the right side.
- Extend your left thigh to the floor in front of you.
- Lift the right foot and put it on the left knee.
You can feel the deep stretch on your hips. If you don’t feel that, put pressure on the knees and adjust your feet. You have to hold at least 30-60 seconds of your body in that position; then, try the same for the other side.
Read more: How To Do Sukhasana Yoga Pose
Exercises For Internal Hip Rotation
Foot lift of 90-90
You can start this exercise by sitting on the floor and keeping both knees bent down and to the left side. And always extend your left leg on the right side. Your legs should always be bent down on a knee about 90 degrees.
And lifting your feet without moving your upper body and hip muscles. You have to do at least 20-30 reps of this movement and keep repeating that for the other side.
Squatting For Internal Hip Rotation
- You have to start that exercise by doing squats; first of all, clasp your hands in front of you.
- Use your left foot and push yourself slightly upward. Your right leg falls towards the floor, so your right thigh will be rotating internally.
- Pause for the seconds and back to your squats. Push yourself up on the right side by the right leg. And then leave your left leg to the floor so your left thigh will rotate internally.
- Do that movement for both sides. At least you have to spend 5 to 10 minutes on this exercise.
Seated Hip Rotation
- You have to sit on the floor at your knees at 90 degrees. You have to set your feet on the floor in a comfortable position.
- Then, extend your one arm behind your body. But your palms on the floor and put your other hand on your knees.
- You have to put your right foot pointed in the upward direction. This will help your knees at the time of hip rotation.
- Keep your one hand on the right knee. And turning your right thigh towards the floor.
- Your thigh and calf should make the right angle. You feel more stretched to your outer and frontal hip muscles.
- After that, return in the normal position and do it for the left side. You have to do at least 20 to 30 reps on one side and also for another side.
Internal Hip rotational exercises and stretching are beneficial for people. It is used for the therapies and warm-up for wrestlers and bodybuilders. These exercises will help you strengthen your internal hip muscles and prevent injuries. We are listing out some critical and beneficial exercises for those people who want to strengthen their hips. I hope you like it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans. You can do all those exercises that we mentioned in this article. Squatting helps you to rotate your hips internally.
Ans. The gluteus minimus (upper buttocks), adductor longus, pectineus (upper frontal thigh), Magnus (inner thigh), and the tensor fasciae (outer hip) muscles internally rotate the hip.