Following your 24-hour daily routine, the nighttime skincare routine is the most vital. It’s the time when your skin rests and heals from outdoor exposure to pollutants. We have divided the essentials to follow in a nighttime skincare routine into a few steps. For maintaining your skin, you don’t have to order expensive products as long as you know the correct pattern to apply them.
The most important thing about nighttime skincare routine steps is having adequate sleep. Even though we are separately going to discuss this, for now, keep that in mind. Follow the article to know the right nighttime skincare routine.
Nighttime Skincare Routine Steps
The skincare routine is not the same for every skin type. The types of products, frequency of the application, and the pattern of the nighttime skincare routine steps vary widely. Nevertheless, nighttime skin nourishment is indeed necessary; it’s also called the wind-up session.
Before you go to sleep, the mandatory thing you should do is cleanse your makeup and even tone the skin. For removing makeup, the wipes do not help as they are also the enemy of your skin. If you have a sensitive or combination skin type, perhaps the nighttime skincare routine steps may help you.
Step 1: Makeup Removal
By makeup removal, we are not only mentioning washing your face up and going to bed. That would do no good and you react oppositely. When you simply use a face washer and cleanse it with water it semi-removes the already-ingrained artificial chemical elements from your skin.
Why? Because the make-up product you apply is designed to last longer and the chemical compounds are waterproof. So, it’s not that easy to wipe off the formulas. You can double-cleanse and get rid of the makeup as well as cleanse the accumulated pollutants from your skin.
- The Way Out: To remove makeup, a vivid oil message will prove helpful. We would recommend messaging your face with coconut or olive oil as they don’t react to most skin types. Proper messaging with at least 5-10 minutes is necessary while applying oil otherwise it may clog the pores.
In case, you have super oily skin, apply micellar water to break down the applied makeup.
Step 2: Time To Cleanse
Once you remove the makeup, it’s time to fetch out all toxins and pollutants from the depths. It’s the step of detoxification to remove environmental pollutants and dirt and avoid clogged pores. For cleansing purposes, you can suit yourself with a cleanser that sounds promising for your skin texture and type. For beginners, we recommend a mild cleanser as that won’t react to the skin generally.
- The Way Out: Take a pea-sized amount of cleanser on your palm and in a circular direction message thoroughly on your skin. You can also use soft cloth for messaging. We recommend using muslin or silk clothes as that won’t make the skin rough. While messaging with your hands, focus on the T-zone, and after some time use lukewarm water to wash the formulation. Don’t use warm water as it may make the skin look dry.
Step 3: Skin Exfoliation ( Not Regularly)
If you believe in going deeper with skin cleansing, then this exfoliation step will assist you. Other than deep cleaning, exfoliating also helps in making your skin appear smooth after gentle peeling. Particularly during winter times, when your skin is more prone to get dry and dead, exfoliation proves the most helpful. Skin exfoliation helps in purifying the skin and gets rid of dullness.
- The Way Out: Many of us are ambitious about having a polish skin type with glass skin being extreme. If you are not a fan of sticky or heavy-textured exfoliating creams, then try herbal creams. We have tried orange peel extract cream, and it helps in refreshing as well as reviving the skin.
Unless huge dirt is compiled, every week using an exfoliator twice or thrice is more than enough.
Step 4: Toning
Many feel apprehensive about using toner and they are justified to do so considering that they know the half-truth. Using toner in itself is not betraying the nighttime skincare routine steps. But make sure you use the right toner. Why we are emphasizing using a toner because it keeps your skin hydrated from all the thorough cleaning steps earlier you did. Not only that but also shrinks the pores and seals your skin from the access of any further dirt.
- The Way Out: Choosing an appropriate toner will not only revamp your skin with hydrating elements. Also, it balances the PH level of your skin to avoid breakouts. Make sure that your toner is alcohol-free and contains extracts of plants in place. For a good smell, we also suggest using floral scent toners to make you feel the feminine essence. Pour the liquid into a cotton ball and start applying it on your face and neck area. Before proceeding to the next step, make sure that you permit the skin to absorb the toner.
Step 5: Lip & Eye Care (not regularly)
Imagine having an effortlessly beautiful face but there are dark circles and dehydrated lips. Won’t look nice right? Even though we mostly ignore our lips, when it gets dry and chapped it feels painful and irritating. A similar thing goes when you ignore the nighttime eye care cream. Even after knowing the delicacy of the area near your eye, we dedicate the least care to that region. So, to end the puffiness and fatigue eye looks, adding a good night cream is extremely important.
- The Way Out: For your lip don’t forget to apply an overnight lip balm. Before you go to bed make sure you replenish your chapped lips with a moisturizing lip balm. It would maintain the ph level of your lips. For a more moisturous impact on your lips use lip masks.
For healing the puffiness and preventing dark circles look for night eye cream containing peptides. Good eye cream in the skincare routine will bring youthfulness to the winked areas near your eyes. Peptides containing night cream will smooth out wrinkles and fine lines.
Step 6: Add a Serum
Now that you have cleansed and toned your face, the next step of the nighttime skincare routine is a spot treatment. On-spot healing treatment is all about specifically healing the acne and breakouts by applying a serum. The serum helps in arresting the targetted skincare concerns and accordingly solve the skin issue at hand. Serums do spot treatment by addressing particular concerns including acne and wrinkles.
- The Way Out: Choose wisely between serums serving a specific purpose such as hydration, brightening, smoothing, or tightening. And it is never too late to apply a dermatologist-recommended skincare routine.
Look for a serum that is formulated with natural ingredients and hyaluronic acid must have a key role in it. We completely trust hyaluronic acid because it boosts skin elasticity and shields against epidermal water loss. Wait for a few minutes before proceeding to the next step.
Step 7: Applying a Night Cream or Moisturizer
The final step before going to bed is moisturizing your skin. Many have the misconception that moisturizer is only for dry or combined skin types and oily skin doesn’t need moisturizer regularly. Don’t deceive yourself with such false information. Moisturizer is essential for everyone in their skincare routine regardless of skin type. What you need to concentrate on is choosing the right moisturizer for your skin type.
- The Way Out: A right moisturizer refills the water losses while you slumber. It locks the open pores, reduces inflammation, and soothes the skin surface. Those with oily skin must not choose a formula that further clogs the pores. In other words, don’t try a heavy or thick cream. Rather, it would be smarter to opt for gel-based moisturizer. Apply the moisturizer in a circular motion to your face as well as neck regions for even results.
How Adequate Sleep is Good for Your Skin?
You must have heard about beauty sleep. And trust us, the goodness of sound sleep is not limited to any fairy tale. Studies have found that seven to eight hours of sleep moisturizes as well as heals your skin for outdoor exposure. When you doze off during nighttime, your skin goes through restoration and heals the combat signs of aging.
While you sleep soundly, skin cells regenerate more quickly. With the regeneration of the skin cells, a protein named collagen also builds up. As a result, collagen aids your skin in maintaining elasticity and volume. So, it’s mandatory to sleep at least eight hours during nighttime to witness observable skin results.
Tips for Nighttime Skincare Routine
The tips for the nighttime skincare routine mentioned below should be followed regularly alongside the seven steps to expect positive results.
- The nighttime skincare products used must include active ingredients. Active ingredients are those that aid by naturally repairing the skin.
- Every night it’s necessary to change the pillowcases. It is so because dirty pillowcases reintroduce oils and microscopic bacteria to your facial skin. If it’s hard for you to change the pillowcases regularly, just flip them to the other side.
- You can get rid of the puffiness of your eyes, by sleeping with your head elevated during nighttime. While you sleep on two pillows, it limits fluid retention in the area to make you look less bloated during the morning.
- Use baby washcloths or muslin cloths while wiping the makeup. Otherwise, rough clothes would make your skin dry and is too harsh for your face.
- Drink enough water to keep your look hydrated naturally. Drinking water brings the inner glow to your skin without much effort.
Pamper Your Skin from Tonight!
Even though a daytime skincare routine is necessary, during the night you get the best chance to heal your skin. After exposure to dirt pollutants and UV rays during the daytime, it is finally time for skin treatment. Don’t skip too often to follow the nighttime skincare routine steps. Among the seven steps, two steps are optional and don’t have to be followed regularly. Make sure, to use the best products in the process, and even don’t hesitate to consult the dermatologist beforehand. You may also be interested in Say Goodbye to Ear Eczema: Expert Tips and Tricks for Relief
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Night time skincare routine
Q. What are the 7 steps of skincare?
Answer- Five essential steps of a night skincare routine should be followed regularly and the other too can be weekly or optional. Those important steps include: removing your makeup using oil or micelles water; applying cleanser; exfoliating; applying toner; nourishing your lip and under your eyes; On the spot, treatment using serum, and then moisturizing the face.
Q. Does extra sleep make you look younger?
Answer- Every night having 7-8 hours of sleep helps your skin to restore as well as combats the signs of aging. The skin cells regenerate quickly while you sleep and protein as collagen generates at a faster pace. Collagen aids in maintaining elasticity and tightens the skin.
Q. What should a night skincare routine consist of?
Answer- The nighttime skincare must consist of the following: makeup removal oil, an exfoliating textured cream or mask, a cleanser, alcohol-free toner, eye cream, lip balm, a spot treatment serum, and a night moisturizer.
Discussion about this post